DIY Hanging Cake
We are OBSESSED with dramatic, hanging wedding cakes! Here’s our guide for how to create a do-it-yourself suspended cake stand. We used a Rent My Wedding canopy to hang the cake, which can support a weight of 15 pounds. Before you get started, make sure to find out the weight of your cake, and verify that the canopy/ceiling/etc where you plan to hang the cake can support the weight. Now that we’ve gotten those disclaimers out of the way, let’s take a look at how to create a fabulous DIY suspended cake stand!
- 1 piece of plywood (at least 4 inches wider on all sides than your cake)
- 1 can of spray paint
- Polyester fabric measuring 10 feet long by 8 inches wide
- Power drill
- Canopy or backdrop
1. Use a drill to create four holes (1/2” diameter) in each corner of the plywood.
2. Paint the wood with your choice of paint. We used white spray paint. (Alternative: Wrap the wood in fabric)
3. Use scissors to cut the fabric into 4 strips, each measuring 10 feet long by 2 inches wide.
4. Thread one piece of fabric through each of the holes in the plywood. Pull the fabric so that each piece has about 6 inches of fabric on one side of the plywood. Tie a knot with this length of fabric.
5. Tie the cake stand to the canopy or backdrop.