Like probably every bride-to-be, I am extremely picky on what I will be wearing on my wedding day. Actually, that may be the only thing I’ve been highly specific about. I’m getting married this summer in South Florida, so this calls for a strapless dress. I was able to narrow it down to precisely what style, fabric, waistline, length, and silhouette I wanted. With my specifications and a Pinterest photo in hand, the moment I walked into bridal boutiques, they narrowed it down to less than 5 dresses in the store. After only two days of trying on about 5 dresses, I found the one. I knew exactly what I liked and what I didn’t like. Finding my dress wasn’t stressful at all! It was the easiest thing thus far! My dress makes me feel like a true princess. Here are a few tips on how to choose the perfect wedding dress:
- Know what suits your body type – Are you tall, petite, hourglass-shaped, pear-shaped, etc.? Try to identify which styles accentuate your best curves. Whether it is an A-line, mermaid, ball gown, or sheath dress, make sure you feel comfortable when trying it on.
- Keep your own personal style – I personally consider myself fashionable yet I love classic styles from Jacqueline Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn, and that of the 50s era. So when choosing my dress, I aimed for both a modern and classic look. Though I came across gorgeous dresses, they seemed too over-the-top for my taste and if I had chosen one, it would not have matched my personality nor my style. Choose a dress that defines you!
- Consider the season – Winter weddings allow more coverage such as long sleeve, or a chic winter wedding coat while Spring/Summer weddings demand less coverage. Though it will be an indoor ceremony and reception, I’ve opted for a strapless dress since we will have an outdoor beach photo session.
- Create a Pinterest board – I have single friends that already have their dream wedding dress board, so if you are engaged and do not have one, create one! It will inspire you and give you dress ideas. I was inspired by a wedding dress I found on Pinterest. If you are afraid of others seeing your pins, simply create a private board and that way you may add whomever you please.
- Bring your mother, sister, and/or a best friend – It’s always good to have someone who knows you well when visiting bridal boutiques. I tried on about 5 dresses and with the help of my mother and sister, I was able to narrow it down to 2! They know me best and were able to help me choose a dress that shouted “Joceline”.
- Choose the dress that makes you feel like a Princess or Ms. Universe! – This is the day you’ve been dreaming of! Choose the dress that makes you feel like a true princess or Ms. Universe. Why not? It’s your big day! If it doesn’t make you feel this way, then keep looking. I was tempted to settle for an ordinary dress simply because the price was attractive. Luckily, my sister suggested I check out other places and it was then that I found the best dress for me.
I will not be posting photos of the dress in case my future husband is reading this. But you will see it on my big day! So stay tuned.